Thanks to all those who replied to my earlier note (below). As promised, I
will try to summarize the answers I received.

Book returns - The consensus is that I shouldn't sweat complex solutions.
Most recommended that we find local handyworker to build or modify a box to
hold accept returned books. (We've engaged a congregant who his willing to
build us a dropbox  and we're in the process of mocking it up.)

Successful dropbox designs shared by others include everything from a slot
cut in the service desk with a cardboard box with crumpled newspaper at the
bottom behind it, to a plastic bin by the door, to a modified toy box. No
one seemed too concerned about books being damaged when dropped. (Our
design is far more relaxed than we'd originally thought it needed to be: a
slot in our check-in kiosk with a shelf to catch the books.)

Our issue with sacred books puzzled most others. However this a real
concern at our temple (Reform).  I have since asked our clergy who have
confirmed that putting sacred books through a book drop is not acceptable.
In fact they have decided that such texts should not circulate at all. We
are now in the process of marking these REFERENCE.

Regarding non-returns, there were a range of options. Follow up methods
include everything from email, to phone calls, to mailed letters, to
door-to-door visits. One library is able to add costs of replacement to
members' dues while most have to shine on the loss.  One suggests that
miscreants make restitution in the form of a donation to the library fund.
We're still exploring what works best in our setting.

One response asked for more info about our self-check system. As mentioned
in earlier posts, we're using Libib as our catalog system. It has a lending
feature with a self-check option.  I'll report more fully about our
experience once our installation is complete.

Good shabbos,

Lee Jaffe
Temple Beth El, Aptos