From: Hasafran [mailto:hasafran-boun...@lists.osu.edu] On Behalf Of Joshua
Jasper
Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2017 1:25 PM
To: hasafran@lists.osu.edu
Subject: [ha-Safran] Weekly Parsha Readers for non-Orthodox storytime

Hi all,

The rabbi at my temple is looking for a quality anthology of short summaries
for the weekly parsha. Ideally, each parsha would have a simple, three-page
simple summary with a big picture. She is hoping to use it for a read-aloud
storytime during Shabbat morning children's services.

The major problem that we have been having is that all weekly parsha readers
that I have been able to find are using Yiddish-style "yeshivish" spellings for
many of the words. As a Conservative temple, the children and parents would not
be able to understand these spellings as it is not how they pronounce the
words. As a result, no matter how thoughtfully prepared these parsha readers
are they are useless for our purposes. What we need is a parsha reader that
says "Bereshit" or "Genesis" rather than "Beraishis" and "The Children of
Israel" rather than "Bnai Yisroel."

I have begun to despair ... I am not sure that such a book as we need even
exists! Please let me know if you can think of any parsha anthology that even
remotely fits these requirements.

Thank you in advance,

Josh

Joshua Jasper, M.A., M.S.L.I.S.