Dear Friends,
                      After over thirty years in the book trade I am beginning
to step away. I will begin studying for the Rabbinate officially this Sunday at
the Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies at American Jewish University in Los
Angeles. Bookselling was once a venture that suited my skills and my
disposition, but that time passed some time ago. It has been a long time since
I felt that my bookselling made much of a difference to anyone. In that time I
have been teaching and developing the skills and experience that can serve me
in good stead as a Rabbi. I have opportunities to make a difference for people
every day of the week. You can find my comments to my congregation here:
https://www.bethsholomsf.org/cbs-blog/2018/8/15/henry-hollander-is-becoming-a-rabbi-officially.
                     I never took a penny for any of my services in that regard
over the years and never wanted to. However, earlier this year I came to a
point where I felt that I could no longer operate at my full potential without
smicha. It is a little too complicated to explain here though my remarks to the
congregation provide a little bit of an explanantion. A Rabbinic education in
the Conservative Movement is not free and I expect to be borrowing a great deal
of money by the time I come to the other side of it. As such I will have to be
a professional Jew on the other side of it. I understand what that can be, but
I think I can make it work for me anyway.
                    I still have a stock of about 80,000 books comprising over
40,000 titles predominantly in English, German, Hebrew and Yiddish. I would
certainly like to place these books somewhere that they can get used. There is
no plan for a sale at this time. I would certainly appreciate some library
sales. They have been quite sparse over the past ten years. I would be willing
to consider discounts on significant sales. My stock can be viewed online at
https://www.hollanderbooks.com/ or
https://www.abebooks.com/henry-hollander%2c-bookseller-san-francisco-ca/45590/sf.
 I would love to speak with you on the phone or via email. I will be available
on Fridays and Sundays.

All the best and Shabbat Shalom,
Henry