This is probably not the sort of book the patron has in mind, but The Code
of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse has a character, Roderick Spode, who is a
spoof of Oswald Moseley, leader of the British Union of Fascists.Spode's
fascist group is called the Black Shorts.

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 6:50 PM Adela Peskorz via Hasafran <
hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:

> It's not a memoir, but in many ways it reads like one: *Hitler, My
> Neighbor: Memories of a Jewish Childhood, 1929-1939 *by Edgar
> Feuchtwanger (interestingly enough, Lion Feuchtwanger's nephew)
> https://www.amazon.com/Hitler-My-Neighbor-Childhood-1929-1939/dp/1590518640/ref=sr_1_1_twi_har_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1541457959&sr=1-1&keywords=hitler+my+neighbor.
> Here is the description I wrote for an annotated booklist of current titles
> with Jewish characters I compiled for *VOYA*, published this year in its
> August issue. Hope it helps!
>
> "In *Hitler, My Neighbor*, Edgar Feuchtwanger had a direct view to
> Hitler’s growing menace outside his bedroom window every day. The subtle
> and chilling progression from the simplistic dismissal of a five-year-old
> to a palpable awareness of the imminent threat living right next door
> presents a dark portrait of how quickly evil can transform the familiar and
> the safe. Best friends became strangers, teachers transformed into
> tormentors, and walls slowly closed in for an entire family who realized
> the only viable option was escape."
>
> Adela
> --
> Adela Peskorz, M.L.S.
> Professor Emerita/Community Faculty
> Adolescent Literature and Information Studies
> Metropolitan State University/St.Paul, MN
> adela.pesk...@metrostate.edu/ pesko...@gmail.com/
>

> *"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up
> because I wasn't a Communist; and then they came for the trade unionists,
> and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist; and then they came
> for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew; and then…they
> came for me…and by that time there was no‐one left to speak up" --Pastor
> Martin Niemoller, German theologian imprisoned in Nazi concentration camps
> from 1937-1945"It is never too late to be what you might
> have been."--George Eliot"Wherever you are is the entry point."--Kabir"Do
> not fear mistakes.  There are none." --Miles Davis*
>

> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:40 PM Erika Dreifus via Hasafran <
> hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>
>> Also: Sinclair Lewis, It Can't Happen Here.
>>
>> On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 4:04 PM Eva Radding via Hasafran <
>> hasafran@lists.osu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> You might also consider The Oppermanns
>>> <https://www.amazon.com/Oppermanns-Novel-Lion-Feuchtwanger/dp/0786708808>
>>> by Leon Feuchtwanger.
>>> --
>>> Eva Radding
>>> Digital Archive and Library Systems Manager
>>> Facing History and Ourselves
>>> 16 Hurd Road
>>> Brookline, MA 02445
>>> 617-735-1680
>>> www.facinghistory.org

>> --
>> *Erika Dreifus* | Writer. Poet. Publicist. Resource Maven.
>> (w) http://www.erikadreifus.com
>> (t) http://twitter.com/erikadreifus
>> (f) http://facebook.com/erikadreifusauthor
> [...]

Shmuel Ben-Gad,
Gelman Library,
George Washington University.

"[I]n Italy for thirty years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror,
murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci,
and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love.  They had 500
years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo
clock."--Harry Lime in  the film "The Third Man".