From: Lisa Silverman via Hasafran
Sent: Tuesday, November 6, 2018 3:08 PM
To: hasaf...@lists.service.ohio-state.edu
Subject: [ha-Safran] need help with a high school class

Greetings Safranim,

Yikes--A high school senior class in coming in here tomorrow with some specific
requests. We have to field 15 of these types of questions and I would love to
hear from any of you who can lead me to any NOVELS or MEMOIRS that we can offer
to them in regard to these questions:

1. I am looking for 2-4 fiction books that are written by an Israeli who
experienced the 1948 war that I can use to compare with another book from after
the 1967 war because I want to write about the way Israeli war victories impact
Israeli literature

2. I am looking for 2-4 fiction books that are written by an Jewish orthodox
author, that I can compare with another book from a secular Jewish author
because I want to write about modern 21st century literature written by
religious Jews vs. that of secular Jews. I would define religious Jews as those
who identify as observant and look at Judaism as a religion. I would define
secular Jews as those who identify as Jewish but only as a nationality.

3. How did Jews in the different time periods of 19th Century Europe, World War
II and modern day America use literature as a way to deal with anti-semitism?

4. How did Religious and Secular Jews differ in their views of Israel from the
time it was established and the next 20-30 years? How do Jewish authors display
their views on a Jewish Homeland through their literature? What did Israel
represent to each group, as seen through their literature?

Lisa Silverman
Library Director, Burton Sperber Jewish Community Library

Address: 15600 Mulholland Drive, Los Angeles, California 90077
Phone: (310) 440-1264
Email: lisa.silver...@aju.edu
Website: http://library.aju.edu

American Jewish University -  celebrating 70 years of inspiring innovation in
education, community life and cultural experiences.