Happy Chanukah all. I am not an actual librarian but I am cataloguing the book
collection of a local synagogue that was once renowned as a place of Torah
study (Chevra Mishnayes in Winnipeg). The collection includes many volumes of
Talmud and other Jewish religious texts that, according to their title pages,
were printed in places such as Vilna (Vilnius), Warsaw, and elsewhere in
Eastern Europe before the holocaust. Their publication dates range from 1819 to
early in the twentieth century.

However, at least some volumes that at first glance are nineteenth-century
editions are in fact twentieth-century reprints. They are "photocopied" from
the originals by one printing process or another (I don't know anything about
printing techniques!)

A few clearly say in an additional printed notice on the title page that they
are reprints. Many of the books have a stamp (not printed) on the title page
staying "Made in Austria". Since Vilnius and the other cities mentioned on the
title pages were never in Austria (or even Austria-Hungary) I am thinking this
means they were reprinted there at a later date. From my little bit of
knowledge of Jewish book history I am thinking these were post-WW II reprints
for the use of religious Jewish displaced person / holocaust survivors?

However, other volumes have no such information at all but there are clues that
tell me they are reprints - for example, when it looks pretty clearly as if a
page of the original was folded over at the corner, and so that corner in the
edition we have is blank, cutting through words.

A lot of the books have some beautiful red lettering on the title page. I was
thinking that could be an indication of an original rather than a reprint
(which I would expect to be in black and white) but just the other day we found
one of these books that does have red lettering, with a little stamp,
"Austria", so now I am thinking that is not a reliable indication after all.

As for the look and feel of the books, all the pages look and feel "old" to
me... though the high school student who has been assisting me has noticed
difference in texture: the print seems "flatter" in some books than others.

Many thanks for any advice!

Justin

Justin Jaron Lewis
https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://justinjaronlewis.ca__;!!KGKeukY!2uhgNKmgf-Tg-RiEyADb7fN2Fv-lWjn0lEM-KxIMuV80i0w5S8W1Kk3J0tBORwFmyCCcN8spWasfYJoG_lhmRDiNeUWdKmMH2zY$