Is the issue that you want an implementation that is BSD licensed
instead of LGPL in order to use in proprietary software ? Because if you
just want to use it in GPL licensed software, then you have no
restrictions, you can use their implementation, change it, rewrite it,
do whatever you want, as long as you don't change the license, that is
keep using GPLv2.

Best,
Miguel Negrão

http://www.friendlyvirus.org/miguelnegrao