hello dave (& list),

looks like a cabal/ghc/hosc version mismatch.

unfortunately i'm no cabal expert, the setup
i have here is:

 $ grep Version hosc.cabal
 Version:          0.3
 $ ghc --version
 The Glorious Glasgow Haskell Compilation System, version 6.8.2
 $ ls ~/lib/ghc-6.8.2/lib | grep Cabal
 Cabal-1.2.3.0
 $

hosc 0.3 is the current darcs version.

if you are running a newer ghc/cabal i'll
look into what has changed and fix the
cabal file.

if you are running older versions henning
thielemann put a version of hosc/hsc3 (0.1.1)
on hackage that works with older ghc (i think
back to 6.4).

i hope you don't mind that i've cc-ed the
haskell-art list in case someone with more
cabal expertise can help out further.

regards,
rohan