>  great, thanks, mce is what i was looking for. am i correct in

there is a start of a sketch of the mce rules at:

http://slavepianos.org/rd/sw/hsc3/Help/hsc3.help.lhs

(ie. in the hsc3 sources, notes from never completed sc3 book effort)

>  assuming that in' 2 AR 0 compiles to a single In ugen, while soundIn
>  [0, 1] references two? what i meant was making the first argument to
>  in' available as an argument to soundIn. reading consecutive input
>  buses is a fairly common scenario ...

yes, correct, i've not optimised this to group conseuctive inputs,
i've never had enough input channels to notice the inefficiency, but
it can moderately easily be done, & i'd happily take a patch! if all
inputs are consecutive we can just use in' directly? are you thinking
of soundInN defined as:

>   soundInN :: Int -> UGen -> UGen
>   soundInN x n = in' x AR (numOutputBuses + n)

so that, ie. soundInN 3 (mce2 0 2) reads channel 2 twice?
perhaps it's just as clear to write soundIn (mce [0,1,2,2,3,4]) or
even soundIn (mce ([0..2]++[2..4]) )?

regards,
rohan