I've taken it as an article of faith that performance of FP language implementations has been improving quite steadily over the past few years. I'd like to assert this, but I can't find any clear evidence to support such an assertion. I note that the "about Haskell" page makes a similar assertion, but it doesn't offer any hint of supporting evidence:
[[
Aren't functional programs very slow?

They used to be, but the compilers have now caught up. Haskell programs run fast enough for all but the most performance-demanding applications.
]]
-- http://www.haskell.org/aboutHaskell.html

I'm looking for a reference -- informal will be enough -- that can give an perspective of progress in functional language implementation performance. I'm not looking for a single benchmark that shows a case of blindingly-fast functional code, but a pointer to trends of improving performance. It would also serve my purpose to have indications based on languages other than Haskell (e.g. ML and friends).

Any ideas, please?

#g

------------ Graham Klyne For email: http://www.ninebynine.org/#Contact