Would it be harder/easier better/worse to use Linux device drivers from hOp/House as opposed to writing new disk I/O stuff in Haskell?

-Alex-
S. Alexander Jacobson tel:917-770-6565 http://alexjacobson.com

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Keean Schupke wrote:

I don't think I said anything controversial. I guess I was just over-simplifying things by only considering PC IDE hardware - but then again that must get you running on 90% of the systems people are likely to have lying around to play with a developmental OS on.

On the other hand the average network driver seems to be about 2,000 lines of code, whereas if you add all the parts of the generic ide driver together you get about 20,000 lines of code. I guess that answers my question - storage is an order of magnitude harder than networking, even before including SCSI.

  Regards,
  Keean.

Simon Marlow wrote:

Keean, you should be aware that Lennart is something of a device driver
guru.  He knows what he's talking about :-)  Go grep for Augustsson in
the NetBSD kernel sometime.

Cheers,
        Simon