May be difference will be more clear with this example ?

import Control.Monad.State

instance (Functor m, Monad m) => Actuative (StateT s m) where
 select i l r = do
   iv <- i
   case iv of
    Left lv  ->  l >>= \lf -> return (lf lv)
    Right rv ->  r >>= \rf -> return (rf rv)

select' xs fs gs = sel <$> xs <*> fs <*> gs
      where sel (Left  a) f _ = f a
            sel (Right b) _ g = g b

increment :: Monad m => StateT Int m (() -> ())
increment = get >>= (put . (+1)) >> return (const ())

====
the difference may be seen clearly, when you run in ghci

*Actuative> runState (select' (return $ Left ()) increment (increment *> increment *> increment)) 0
((),4)
*Actuative> runState (select (return $ Left ()) increment (increment *> increment *> increment)) 0
((),1)

Not sure, what categorical concept is model for this type class