As counterpoint to Vincent Hanquez' note about the certificate store
on MacOS & Windows, I'd like to cast some doubt on the notion that
you can reliably find the cert store here on Linux or the *BSDs.

So, if my experience with platforms like that is any guide, you'd
rather not "hard code" this value in any case.  I suppose that means
application needs a configuration file.

>>         #else
>>             SSL.contextSetCADirectory ctx "/etc/ssl/certs"
>>             SSL.contextSetVerificationMode ctx $
>>                 SSL.VerifyPeer True True Nothing
>>         #endif

On the bright side, a configuration file makes operational parameters
like this very transparent for a sys admin who needs to work with
it but wasn't in on the original install.  Assuming the config file
is easy to find in the first place.

        Donn