Hi,

Petr Pudlák wrote:
    ---------- Forwarded message ----------
    From: *Niklas Hambüchen* <m...@nh2.me <mailto:m...@nh2.me>>
    Date: 2013/5/4
    I would even be happy with newhackage sending every package maintainer a
    quarterly question "Would you still call your project X 'maintained'?"
    for each package they maintain; Hackage could really give us better
    indications concerning this.

This sounds to me like a very good idea. It could be as simple as "If
you consider yourself to be the maintainer of package X please just hit
reply and send." If Hackage doesn't get an answer, it'd just would
display some red text like "This package seems to be unmaintained since
D.M.Y."

I like the idea of displaying additional info about the status of package development, but I don't like the idea of annoying hard-working package maintainers with emails about their perfect packages that actually didn't need any updates since ages ago.

So what about this: Hackage could try to automatically collect and display information about the development status of packages that allow potential users to *guess* whether the package is maintained or not. Currently, potential users have to collect this information themselves.

Here are some examples I have in mind:

 * Fetch the timestamp of the latest commit from the HEAD repo
 * Fetch the number of open issues from the issue tracker
 * Display reverse dependencies on the main hackage page
 * Show the timestamp of the last Hackage upload of the uploader

Tillmann