On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, David Roundy wrote:

1. Field namespace issue:

Field names should not need to be globally unique.  In Haskell 98, they
share the function namespace, and must be unique.  We either need to make
them *not* share the function namespace (which means no getters as
functions), or somehow stick the field labels into classes.

I found that problem more annoying when starting with Haskell. But since I do now try to define only one data type per module, equal field names don't collide so easy anymore. It remains the inconvenience that field names must be qualified with the module name rather than the record variable name.