Simon Marlow wrote:
Brian Hulley wrote:
Hi -
I have the following code:

[snip]
Is this just a bug in Haddock or am I misunderstanding something
about Haskell?

It's a bug / missing feature in Haddock.  Haddock is basically pretty
dumb when it comes to understanding Haskell code; it knows about the
syntax and the module system, and that's about all.  It makes a
half-hearted attempt to figure out what instances you get from
deriving clauses, but it's not complete, and you've encountered a
case it doesn't handle.

One day Haddock will be built on top of the GHC API, and all this will
be fixed...

Thanks - I'm glad it's not just me!
In the meantime, I found a better workaround (since the type decl using a class name is not legal Haskell) is just to use -cpp to preprocess for both ghc and haddock so that haddock sees explicitly defined dummy instances instead of a newtype deriving clause, then perfect results are obtained... :-)

Regards, Brian.