Brian Hulley wrote:
Piotr Kalinowski wrote:
On 22/06/06, Brian Hulley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

For example, why do people accept that infinity == infinity + 1 ?
Surely this expression is just ill-typed. infinity can't be a number.

This equation is just a shortcut, so I can't see how can it be
ill-typed. It means something like: if you add one element to an
infinite list, will it be longer?

What does your intuition say about this?

Well, Archimedes thought: "..in the palimpsest we found Archimedes doing just that. He compared two infinitely large sets and stated that they have an equal number of members. No other extant source for Greek mathematics has that."

http://news-service.stanford.edu/news/2002/november6/archimedes-116.html

--
Chris