Claus Reinke wrote:

cabal:
   - the separation into interpreter/compiler and resource as Setup
       does not set up the right mindset in users. for instance, you can
       "runhaskell Setup.hs --help" as for most unixy tools, but who'd
       think of that in this situation, and how much does it help?

   + add a dedicated command "cabal", which does nothing more
       than "runhaskell Setup", but is more memorable and suggestive

cabal-setup does this, but wasn't included with the latest release of Cabal. It should be in the next one, I hope. The plan is to deprecate 'runhaskell Setup.lhs' in favour of 'cabal-setup'. Feel free to suggest changing the name to 'cabal', although some might argue that 'cabal-get' is the high-level tool and should therefore get the name 'cabal' instead.

   - cabal/darcs/haddock are no replacement for minimal help texts:
       cabal should require the existence of a README

absolutely, this has occurred to me too. There should be a stanard Cabal README file, and Don's mkcabal tool could drop it in the tree.

Cheers,
        Simon