Ketil Malde schrieb:
I generally manage to absorb just enough to get by, but I think there
is a niche for a book (coupled to practical problems and complete
with excercises etc) that is waiting to be filled.

Agreed.
Something along the lines of "The Art of Functional Programming".

HSoE is great as a starting textbook. However, it just scratches the surfaces - and after that, trying to grok monads keeps you occupied for a year or longer, keeping you distracted from developing other skills (such as writing and reading point-free code, or developing an intuition for curried code, or digging into a combinator library).

Regards,
Jo