Jacques Carette wrote:

Lennart Augustsson wrote:

I must second this opinion. There's this (false) perception that you need all kinds of extensions to make Haskell usable. It's simply not true. Certain
extensions can make your life easier, but that's it.

To write code in Haskell, this is true.

However, one of the wonderful things about Haskell is how much the type system helps you. And if you want the type system to help you even more [which, as a programmer having suffered from dynamic typing too long, I really want], those extensions are really needed.

In other words, you can program in Haskell just fine without extensions. But if you want that "next level" in type safety, extensions is where it's at, at least for the kind of code I write.

Or, to go the other way, if you don't care about type safety, you might as well program in Javascript.

--
-----
What part of "ph'nglui bglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagn'nagl fhtagn" don't you