apfelmus wrote:

I'm unsure whether it's a good idea to simulate
the situations, I'd prefer a more denotational
approach...

Queuing theory is a very large and mature area of
research, with many important applications in
industry. It is not a coincidence that a certain
telephone company named a functional programming
language after Erlang, the founder of queuing
theory.

From the little I know about it, the problem space
is quite complex. Simple cases can be calculated
easily, but the math starts getting messy very
quickly as the complexity increases.  On the other
hand, simulation is a very powerful tool that is
very generally applicable. Functional programming
languages, such as Er^H^H Haskell, are very good
at this.

...it's not specified what "efficiency" means in
the grocery store problem...  one could weight
mean wait time with that, so that people buying
few stuff have much shorter waiting times than
people with several full shopping carts.

And the relative cost to the supermarket of
various strategies will obviously be a factor in
any real-life application.

http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Research_papers/Data_structures#Probablistic_Programming

may help... the sampling can be integrated
transparently into the probabilistic functional
programming framework cited above.

Hey, that is a very cute library.

Regards,
Yitz