On 7/16/07, Malcolm Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

After all, we would expect the same attributes (intelligence and
training) from a neurosurgeon, a nuclear scientist, or someone who
calculates how to land a person on the moon.  Programming computers may
not seem very skilled to most people, but maybe that is simply because
we are so familiar with it being done so badly.  I'm all for improving
the quality of software, and the corollary is that that means improving
the quality of programmers (by stretching our brains!).

You want people doing difficult expensive high-risk tasks to be intelligent
and well trained, but you want their task to be as easy as possible.

Would you rather a nuclear reactor needs to be controlled by feeding in
punch cards, or by having a big round dial labelled "power", that you can
move from 0 to 200 MegaWatts?  Of course, you'd like the guy moving that
dial to be well trained and intelligent.  Welcome to why flying airlines is
well-paid and boring.