Brian Hurt wrote:
The key idea of Cilk is that it's easier to deparallelize than it is to parallelize, especially automatically. So the idea is that the program is written incredibly parallel, with huge numbers of microthreads, which are (on average) very cheap to spawn. The runtime then deparallelizes the microthreads, running multiple microthreads sequentially within a single real thread (a worker thread). Microthreads that live their entire life within a single real thread are cheap to spawn (as in "not much more expensive than a normal function call" cheap).

That's so absurd, it might even work!

I quite like the concept though - rather than asking "what can we make parallel?", you say "what should we do serially?" That sounds like an easier question to answer...