Duncan Coutts wrote:
On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 18:23 +0100, Brian Hulley wrote:

Therefore I propose:

    \of
        alts

which doesn't suffer this problem since the keyword "of" can never follow a '\' in the existing grammar.

Or how about:

\case of
    alts

which seems clearer to me.

Similarly, the keyword "case" can never follow a '\' in the existing
grammar.

Mind you, this doesn't seem to save much over

\x -> case x of
    alts

It saves the writer using an explicit name which must be unique and the reader determining that the name is not used deeper in the expressions. (and a "->"). I tend to find myself wanting this after already having written a 'case' and decided I don't need/want a name for the thing being 'cased'. I wouldn't mind "case of", "\of" or "\case of", for using it.

Allowing multiple arguments - is syntactically difficult to reconcile with 'case' because it restricts what single-argument forms can be used? Such as:
>   case foo of Just n -> n
is allowed but
> f Just n = n
isn't.