You're right.  The list syntax is only for lists in Haskell.  It would be
nice if the list syntax was overloaded too.
You can overload numeric literals (by defining fromInteger) and string
literals (by defining fromString, in 6.7).
BTW, the [1..10] syntax is overloaded, you need an Enum instance.

  -- Lennart