Questioning apfelmus definitely gives me pause, but...

>         id :: a -> a                -- "arity" 1
>   id = ($) :: (a -> b) -> (a -> b)  -- "arity" 2

I agree with the arities given above (but without quotes) and see no ill-definedness to arity.

But these are two different classes of functions. There are arguments of the first function that cannot be applied to the second (e.g. 5). The fact that the two have different type signatures shows that Haskell can distinguish them (e.g. in the instantiation of a type class).

The difficulties of Haskell's type system in the presence/intersection of ad hoc/parametric polymorphism is an orthogonal issue. I think that every function application must have a unique monomorphic type at the call site of the "arity" function (assisted or not by type annotation), and this type is known to converge in a Template Haskell construction.

> We have to specialize the type of  id before
> supplying it to  wrap . For example,
>
>   wrap (id :: Int -> Int)
>
> works just fine.

The necessity of type annotation/restriction is an orthogonal issue to the above.

Am I missing something more fundamental?

apfelmus wrote:
Luke Palmer wrote:

Hmm, this still seems ill-defined to me.

compose :: (Int -> Int -> Int) -> (Int -> Int) -> Int -> Int -> Int

Is a valid expression given that definition (with a,b = Int and c = Int -> Int),
but now the arity is 4.

That's correct, the arity of a function is not well-defined due to polymorphism. The simplest example is probably

        id :: a -> a                -- "arity" 1
  id = ($) :: (a -> b) -> (a -> b)  -- "arity" 2

Therefore, the polymorphic expression

  wrap id

is problematic. It roughly has the type

  wrap id  ~~  [String] -> a

But it's clearly ambiguous: do we have

  wrap id (x:_)   = read x

or

  wrap id (f:x:_) = wrap ($) (f:x:_) = read f (read x)

or what? (assuming a read instance for function types)
GHCi gives it a type

  > :type wrap id
  wrap id :: (FunWrap (a -> a) y) => [String] -> y

but trying to use it like in

  > let x = wrap id ["1"] :: Int

yields lots of type errors. We have to specialize the type of id before supplying it to wrap . For example,

  wrap (id :: Int -> Int)

works just fine.

I don't like this behavior of wrap since it violates the nice property of polymorphic expressions that it's unimportant when a type variable is instantiated, like in

   map ((+1) :: Int -> Int) [1..5]
 = map (+1) ([1..5] :: [Int])
 = (map (+1) [1..5]) :: [Int]

Regards,