Johan Tibell wrote:
I imagine the laziness here was because these all match their names in
the traditional libc, accessable via manpages.

You may not consider that an excuse :)

I don't! To do something about it I'll adopt Network.Socket and
document that (I did the same with some other base module half a year
ago.) I invite others to do the same, the Prelude would be a good
start. It doesn't take much time. There are interesting things to
document like how error conditions are handled, etc.

maybe start from http://www.haskell.org/onlinereport/standard-prelude.html ... hmm, wait, that doesn't give much comments, but at least it gives a specification-style implementation and type signature, which must be why I look there

~Isaac