On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:

Sittampalam, Ganesh:

No, I meant can't it derive that equality when matching (Id a) against (Id b)? As you say, it can't derive (a ~ b) at that point, but (Id a ~ Id b) is known, surely?

No, it is not know.  Why do you think it is?

Well, if the types of foo and foo' were forall a . a -> a and forall b . b -> b, I would expect the type-checker to unify a and b in the argument position and then discover that this equality made the result position unify too. So why can't the same happen but with Id a and Id b instead?

The problem is really with foo and its signature, not with any use of foo. The function foo is (due to its type) unusable. Can't you change foo?

Here's a cut-down version of my real code. The type family Apply is very important because it allows me to write class instances for things that might be its first parameter, like Id and Comp SqlExpr Maybe, without paying the syntactic overhead of forcing client code to use Id/unId and Comp/unComp. It also squishes nested Maybes which is important to my application (since SQL doesn't have them).

castNum is the simplest example of a general problem - the whole point is to allow clients to write code that is overloaded over the first parameter to Apply using primitives like castNum. I'm not really sure how I could get away from the ambiguity problem, given that desire.

Cheers,

Ganesh

{-# LANGUAGE TypeFamilies, GADTs, UndecidableInstances, NoMonomorphismRestriction #-}

newtype Id a = Id { unId :: a }
newtype Comp f g x = Comp { unComp :: f (g x) }

type family Apply (f :: * -> *) a

type instance Apply Id a = a
type instance Apply (Comp f g) a = Apply f (Apply g a)
type instance Apply SqlExpr a = SqlExpr a
type instance Apply Maybe Int = Maybe Int
type instance Apply Maybe Double = Maybe Double
type instance Apply Maybe (Maybe a) = Apply Maybe a

class DoubleToInt s where
   castNum :: Apply s Double -> Apply s Int

instance DoubleToInt Id where
   castNum = round

instance DoubleToInt SqlExpr where
   castNum = SECastNum

data SqlExpr a where
  SECastNum :: SqlExpr Double -> SqlExpr Int

castNum' :: (DoubleToInt s) => Apply s Double -> Apply s Int
castNum' = castNum