Ian Lynagh wrote a pure haskell readline implementation a while ago,

I think that was Malcolm Wallace.

... and it is part of the readline package! See System.Console.SimpleLineEditor. Needless to say, it is far from perfect, but does give some basic facilities. There are lots of ways it could be extended.

(I haven't checked, but I really hope the cabal mechanisms for configuring the readline package do not require a working actual- readline installation, because SimpleLineEditor is explicitly designed to workaround its absence! It is supposed to provide a uniform interface regardless of whether readline is there.)

Regards,
    Malcolm