On Apr 28, 2008, at 16:22 , Fraser Wilson wrote:

> instance (Num a) => ValueClass a where
>     fromValue (Value n) = fromInteger n

What I'm really confused by is the response to instance (Num a) => ValueClass a -- what I am trying to say is "if a is an instance of Num, then can be an instance of ValueClass too, and here's how".

The format is instance [context =>] classname instance.
Your classname is ValueClass.
Your instance is a.  a is not of the form (T a1 ... an).

(How to fix it? Not sure, and am trying to get myself out of here and on the road :)

--
brandon s. allbery [solaris,freebsd,perl,pugs,haskell] [EMAIL PROTECTED]
system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] [EMAIL PROTECTED]