Peter Hercek wrote:
But what about this git rebasing option? How to do it more easily
 (than the solution I know and I described it later) in darcs?

using "git-rebase --onto master next topic" to get from:
    o---o---o---o---o  master
         \
          o---o---o---o---o  next
                           \
                            o---o---o  topic
to:

    o---o---o---o---o  master
        |            \
        |             o'--o'--o'  topic
         \
          o---o---o---o---o  next

This is the reason why I mentioned reordering depending patches AB
 to BA (with manual conflict resolution) would be needed in darcs
 to support (I believe a better) alternative to git rebase.

I don't understand (probably because I haven't use either dvcs).

Either the changes in the next->topic path don't depend on the changes in the fork->next path. Then, the patches commute and it's no problem for darcs.

Or the next->topic path relies on features from next that are not present in master . But then, you're screwed anyway and should merge some parts from next into master so as to advance the point where master and next fork.

     o---o---o---o---o  master
                  \
           x---x---o---o---o  next
                            \
                             o---o---o  topic

(Of course, you don't actually advance the fork but rather add patches at the end of master . Hm, set of patches semantics seem to be a lot nicer here anyway. To me, the whole point of rebasing seems to be to somehow bring set semantics into the tree semantics.)

Regards,
apfelmus