On 16 Jun 2008, at 19:24, Achim Schneider wrote:

Thomas Davie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 16 Jun 2008, at 18:28, Achim Schneider wrote:

Thomas Davie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

One half of all Haskell coders will tell you that mutable state
isn't a
good starting point to learn Haskell, the other half will tell you
the same because they want to be cool kids, too.

And the one left over will point out that he asked how to do this
the FP way, not the imperative way?

There's no difference, as you can't do time-accounting non-strict
and still expect it to give meaningful results: I'm merely trying
to be helpful. None of the other solutions allow for the IO Monad.

Firstly, I'd phrase that differently -- the IO Monad doesn't allow
for the other solutions -- the other solutions are the truly
functional ones.  Secondly, I'm curious as to why you think that the
two are incompatible, are you saying that for any meaningful kind of
computation we need to resort to IORefs?  I'd strongly contest that
idea.

We have to resort to IO actions to get the time, and to IORefs because
we need to chain up different calls to getCurrentTime using the IO
Monad. The rest of the program can work with whatever you like best.

And in what way is this incompatible with either FRP as pierre suggested, or with generating an infinite list of times at which we call the function, and scanning it to find the differences?

Bob