Henning Thielemann wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2008, Henning Thielemann wrote:

On Wed, 13 Aug 2008, Andrew Coppin wrote:

The naming of cats is a difficult matter...

Ahem. So as you may have noticed, we seem to have a profusion of packages all called "binary" or something dangeriously similar. There's also several "MD5" packages. I could point out a few others. So what I'm wondering is... Do we have a formal convention for the naming of packages and/or the naming of the modules they contain?

There is a page on the Wiki which lists several common top-level module names. Unfortunately www.haskell.org seems to be down currently.

http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Hierarchical_module_names

Right. So if for some reason two people both developed a hashtable implementation (say), we would end up with two modules both called Data.Hashtable, but (hopefully) the packages themselves would be called james-hashtable and chris-hashtable (or something).

Now both packages can be installed at once, but when I say "import Data.Hashtable", GHC has no way to know which one I mean. That doesn't sound too clever to me...