Brian Hurt wrote:
On Sun, 21 Sep 2008, wren ng thornton wrote:

> Even with functionalists ---of the OCaml and SML ilk--- this use of > spaces can be confusing if noone explains that function application > binds tighter than all operators.

Bwuh? Ocaml programmers certainly know that application binds tighter than operators. And as:

Not being of either ilk, perhaps I mis-relayed the confusions of a friend recently converted to Haskell :)

The issue I was raising had not so much to do with un/currying of functions but rather whether something like "foo bar %^& baz" means "(foo bar) %^& baz" or "foo (bar %^& baz)".

I believe this was voiced as an SML issue more than an OCaml issue, though honestly I don't know enough of the differences to distinguish them. Before I mentioned that function/prefix application always binds tighter than operator/infix application, he was using many redundant parentheses, thanks to defensive programming against whichever dialect was at fault.

--
Live well,
~wren