Henning Thielemann wrote:
Alberto G. Corona schrieb:
But many features need other features. For example, the option to use
referential transparency will be common in future languages for
multicore programming purposes.  This creates the problem of separating
side-effect-free code from side-effect code.

In C/C++ referential transparent functions code can be declared by
appending a 'const' to the prototype, right?

not quite. GCC allows __attribute__((__const__)) or __attribute__((__pure__)), to declare that, though (one of them allows reading global variables, the other doesn't, I forget which). In C and C++ per standard, "const" can only be applied to types, e.g. function arguments (including C++'s implicit *this, via funny location of "const"). Maybe C99 made up an additional way to use it, as it introduced "restrict", I forget

-Isaac