John Goerzen ha scritto:
Steve Schafer wrote:
On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 11:01:18 -0200, you wrote:

I'm writing a program that will read medical signs
>from many patients. It's important to have a precise
measure of the time interval between some signs, and
that can't depend on adjustments of time. (Supose
my software is running midnight at the end of a year
with leap seconds. I would get wrong time intervals.)
If you really need that level of accuracy, there is nothing available on
an off-the-shelf machine that will do the job. You need an independent
timekeeping source of some kind, one that is not subject to the vagaries

I'm not sure that the original question implied *that* level of need.

Linux has High-Resolution Timers (HRTs) that may be appropriate.  See
the manpage for clock_gettime(), which defines these HRTs:

> [...]

CLOCK_MONOTONIC, in particular, looks suitable.  Using it could be a
matter of just a few quick likes in FFI.

There is also an available package on Hackage: posix-realtime.

I don't know if Windows has similar features.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms632592(VS.85).aspx
and QueryPerformanceCounter, in detail.

Unfortunately, documentation is really bad, and it is not really clear what "high-resolution performance counter" means.

-- John

Manlio Perillo