Anton van Straaten wrote:
Andrew Coppin wrote:
Abstraction is a great thing to have. I'd just prefer it to not look so intimidating;

What makes it look intimidating?

If the answer is "it looks intimidating because the documentation consists of nothing more than a mathematical term, without a definition, and a reference to a paper", then I agree with you, and it seems so does most everyone else.

But if the intimidation factor is coming from preconceptions like "it's mathy, therefore it's scary"; or "it's an unfamiliar term, therefore it's scary", then I think that's something that the reader needs to work on, not the designers and documenters of Haskell.

I guess you're right.

A problem I see a lot of [and other people have mentioned this] is that a lot of documentation presents highly abstracted things, and gives *no hint* of why on earth these might possibly be useful for something. (E.g., "coarbitrary". Wuh??) Perhaps fixing this *would* help make Haskell more accessible. (The "other" problem of course is that what documentation that does exist is scattered all over the place...)

I still think existential quantification is a step too far though. :-P