Is there some sort of bundle that you can use to install cabal-install easily? Because it looks to me like I'd have to spend the better part of an evening manually downloading and installing the gazillion of dependencies it has, which is far too much work when I just wanted to spend ten minutes playing with some package...

From: "Daniel Fischer" <daniel.is.fisc...@web.de>
Sent: Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:35 PM
To: "Alberto G. Corona " <agocor...@gmail.com>; <haskell-cafe@haskell.org>
Subject: Re: [Haskell-cafe] runghc Setup.hs doitall

Am Samstag, 17. Januar 2009 23:20 schrieb Alberto G. Corona:
Hi guys:

I don´t know how difficult really is, but it seens that it could be done
because all the necessary elements are there (except perhaps the mapping
package name-hackage url): Why hasn´t been done yet Is unknown to me.
It would be very useful and a big save of time  to have a cabal commad
"chech-dependencies-and-install-them-by-downloading-them-from-hackage-then-
configure-build-and-install-this-package?. The unix installers do is t from binaries and are obsolete, so I have to do it manually with cabal everytime
 when i download a new compiler version from haskell.org.

Cheers
  Alberto.

Use cabal-install:

cabal update && cabal install foo

checks for dependencies, downloads and builds them automatically (if
possible).