On Fri, 23 Jan 2009, Derek Elkins wrote:

mempty `mappend` undefined = undefined (left identity monoid law)
The above definition doesn't meet this, similarly for the right identity
monoid law.  That only leaves one definition, () `mappend` () = () which
does indeed satisfy the monoid laws.

So the answer to the question is "Yes."  Another example of making
things as lazy as possible going astray.

I'd like to argue that laws, such as monoid laws, do not apply to partial values. But I haven't thought my position through yet.