On Thu, 19 Feb 2009, Sterling Clover wrote:

Thanks for the update on plugins! I look forward to trying them out from the GHC mainline at some point. I don't think that units as I envision them would need to mess with the type system directly, but could be implemented simply as a static analysis step, such as you describe.

I think it is widely agreed on that all these static checkers (e.g. for totality of functions) fill the gap of a type system that is not strong enough to handle these cases. Have you ever tried one of the units-by-types libraries so far? They catch many bugs and are already quite natural in usage.