On 17/03/2009, at 1:13 PM, Jonathan Cast wrote:

[Totally OT tangent: How did operational semantics come to get its noun?
The more I think about it, the more it seems like a precĂ­s of the
implementation, rather than a truly semantic part of a language
specification.]

I haven't followed the whole thread, so perhaps I'm missing some important context to this question.

It is true that operational semantics are often used to summarise or explain an _implementation_ of a language feature, but I wouldn't say that they are always used in this way. An operational semantics may be used to define a "behaviour" function: (program x input) -> outcome. The big-step style of operational semantics style tends to be less like an implementation, and more like a specification. Perhaps the more crucial part of operational semantics is that it just deals with syntactic terms as its "values".

Apologies if this has nothing to do with your question.

Cheers,