Colin Adams wrote:
2009/3/25 wren ng thornton <w...@freegeek.org>:
> >  Most of the "documentation" is in research papers, and a "normal"
> >  programmer don't want to read these papers.
>
> Yes, and no. There is quite a bit of documentation in research papers, and
> mainstream programmers don't read research. However, this is a big part of
> what makes the Haskell community what it is. There are plenty of
> non-academics here, but they have the willingness to read these papers (even
> if it's out of the ordinary) and the desire to learn radical new things
> (because they're out of the ordinary).

Yes.
BUT ...

when I look up the Haddock-generated documentation for a function, I
DON'T appreciate it if that is in the form of a hyperlink to a
research paper.
And that occurs in several of the libraries shipped with GHC for instance.

A reference to a research paper is fine to show where the ideas came
from, but that is not where the library documentation should be.

Yeah, that's bad. 'Documentation' like that should be corrected with Extreme Prejudice.

--
Live well,
~wren