On Sat, 8 Aug 2009, Andrew Coppin wrote:

As some of you may remember, I recently released a couple of packages on Hackage. I'd like to also release some example programs using these packages, but I'm not sure of the best way to do this.

Do I make the example programs part of the package itself? Do I release a seperate package which just contains the example code? Something else entirely? What's the recommendation here?

Usually I include the example program in the package, but make its compilation conditional using a Cabal flag like buildExamples. This way, you can build the examples explicitly by
  cabal install package -fbuildExamples
 but they won't be build when the package is build as dependent package.

See for instance:
  http://code.haskell.org/gnuplot/gnuplot.cabal