Haskell Weekly News
http://sequence.complete.org/hwn/20090912
Issue 130 - September 12, 2009
Welcome to issue 130 of HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the
   [1]Haskell community.

   Welcome to issue 130 of HWN! In the last week, HWN has gotten a new
editor, me! I'm Joe Fredette (jfredett on IRC, reddit, and everywhere else), and I'll be taking over for Brent (byorgey) from now on. I think I speak for the whole community when I thank him for his excellent work on the HWN and associated tools. I have a few ideas about how I want to
   change HWN for the better, and hopefully you'll like them too! So,
   without further ado, The Haskell Weekly News!

Announcements

   Looking for a new HWN editor. Brent Yorgey [2]went looking for a new
   editor for the HWN, and that's how you got me! See the editorial for
   more details.

CfPart: FMICS 2009, 2-3 November 2009. Christophe Joubert [3]announced FMICS 2009 - FIRST CALL FOR PARTICIPATION, 14th International Workshop on Formal Methods for Industrial Critical Systems. November 2-3, 2009

   Call for Posters: APLAS 2009. Kiminori Matsuzaki [4]announced a CALL
   FOR POSTER PRESENTATIONS The Seventh ASIAN Symposium on Programming
   Languages and Systems (APLAS 2009) December 14 - 16, 2009 Seoul
   National University, Seoul, Korea.

hecc-0.1. Marcel Fourné [5]announced the first release of hecc, the
   Elliptic Curve Cryptography Library for Haskell. Implemented are
affine, projective, jacobian and modified jacobian point formats with the basic operations. Included as an Example is a basic ECDH as well as
   a basic speed test.

   HLint 1.6.8. Neil Mitchell [6]announced HLint 1.6.8. HLint is a tool
for suggesting improvements to your source code. It suggests the use of
   library functions you may have been unaware of, finds patterns of
recursion that are really folds/maps, hints about extensions you aren't
   using and much more. HLint is now one of the top 20 applications on
   Hackage, and is used by the darcs project to improve and statically
   check their code base.

   A Levenberg-Marquardt implementation. Bas van Dijk [7]announced the
   release of a Haskell binding to Manolis Lourakis's C levmar library.
This library implements the Levenberg-Marquardt algorithm which is an
   iterative technique that finds a local minimum of a function that is
expressed as the sum of squares of nonlinear functions. It has become a
   standard technique for nonlinear least-squares problems and can be
   thought of as a combination of steepest descent and the Gauss-Newton
   method.

   CCA-0.1. Paul L [8]announced that a library for Causal Commutative
   Arrows (CCA) has been uploaded to Hackage DB. It implements CCA
normalization using Template Haskell and a modified arrow pre- processor (based on arrowp) to generate outout that Template Haskell can parse.
   It's highly experimental since we are still fiddling with several
design choices, and by no means we imply Template Haskell is the best
   choice to implement CCA. Any suggestion or comment is welcome!

   graphviz-2999.5.0.0. Ivan Lazar Miljenovic [9]announced version
2999.5.0.0 of the graphviz package for Haskell. This is what I like to think of as the 'Hey, this is almost getting to be a decent library!' version. The graphviz package provides bindings to the GraphViz suite of programs by providing the ability to generate and parse GraphViz's
   Dot language as well as wrappers around the tools themselves.

   uvector-algorithms 0.2. Dan Doel [10]announced version 0.2 of the
uvector-algorithms package. The package so far has implementations of several sorting and selection algorithms for use on the mutable arrays from the uvector library, as well as combinators for applying them to
   immutable arrays.

   dbmigrations 0.1. Jonathan Daugherty [11]announced dbmigrations, A
library and program for the creation, management, and installation of
   schema updates (called migrations) for a relational database. In
   particular, this package lets the migration author express explicit
dependencies between migrations and the management tool automatically
   installs or reverts migrations accordingly, using transactions for
safety. This package is written to support any HDBC-supported database,
   although at present only PostgreSQL is fully supported.

Palindromes 0.1. Johan Jeuring [12]announced Palindromes, a package for
   finding palindromes in files. Visit the [13]homepage The primary
   features of Palindromes include: A linear-time algorithm for finding
   exact palindromes, A linear-time algorithm for finding text
   palindromes, ignoring spaces, case of characters, and punctuation
   symbols.

Discussion

Averting QuickCheck Madness. Christopher Lane Hinson Christopher Hinson
   [14]asked about best practices with regards to QuickCheck, and it's
   inclusion/exclusion as a dependency for end-user programs.

   How to customize dyre recompile? Andy Stewart Andy Stewart [15]asked
   about how to customize Dyre's settings to do a whole-program
   recompilation.

   Externally derive instance of Data? Dimitry Golubovsky Dimitry
   Golubovsky [16]asked about stand-alone deriving for third-party
   datatypes.

   Parallel parsing & multicore. Anakim Border Anakim Border [17]talked
   about parallel parsing, specifically about a parser he had put
together, which led to a discussion of Edward Kmett's recent talks at
   BAHUG.

   Ph.D position, Utrecht University, the Netherlands. S.Doaitse
[18]announced Vacancy PhD student on Realizing Optimal Sharing in the
   Functional Language Implementations Utrecht University, The
   Netherlands.

Blog noise

[19]Haskell news from the [20]blogosphere. Blog posts from people new to the Haskell community are marked with >>>, be sure to welcome them! * Eric Kow (kowey): [21]Cabal-Installing graphical apps on MacOS X. * Don Stewart (dons): [22]Improving Data Structures with Associated
       Types.
     * Manuel M T Chakravarty: [23]Haskell Arrays, Accelerated..
     * Galois, Inc: [24]Tech Talk: Building Systems That Enforce
       Measurable Security Goals.
     * Kevin Reid (kpreid): [25]GSoC conclusion..
     * Neil Brown: [26]Boids Simulation: Part 1.
     * Paul Potts: [27]MacPorts, Snow Leopard, and GHC == Sadness.
     * Andrew Calleja: [28]Haskell IDEs on Windows.
     * Sean Leather: [29]"Upwards and downwards accumulations on trees"
       translated into Haskell.
     * Xmonad: [30]The Design and Implementation of XMonad.
     * Galois, Inc: [31]Tech Talk: Constructing a Universal Domain for
       Reasoning About Haskell Datatypes.
     * Well-Typed.Com: [32]Slides from the IHG talk at CUFP.
* Alex McLean: [33]Hackpact Documentation. This links to part one of
       a two part series.
* Bas van Gijze: [34]Cannibals, Missionaries and the State Monad pt.
       1.
* Magnus Therning: [35]Wrapping IO. This links to part one of a two
       part series.
     * Don Stewart (dons): [36]Stream Fusion for Haskell Arrays.
     * Tom Schrijvers: [37]EffectiveAdvice: AOP, mixin inheritance,
       monads, parametricity, non-interference, ....
     * Johan Jeuring: [38]Finding palindromes.
     * Neil Brown: [39]Concurrent vs Parallel vs Sequential.
     * Don Stewart (dons): [40]DEFUN 2009: Multicore Programming in
       Haskell Now!.
     * Don Stewart (dons): [41]The Haskell Platform: Status Report:
       Haskell Symposium 2009.

Quotes of the Week

     * lispy: All haskell lists have less than 400 elements
     * Jafet: The C preprocessor is purely dysfunctional
* edwardk: so the -> is matched on the outside, but the -> and , fail
       to match on the inside, unification fails, dogs and cats start
       living together in harmony, general chaos.
     * yaxu: [about lambdabot] an irc bot that no-one understands the
workings of has to be a fine precursor to artificial intelligence
     * Gracenotes: all in all, you're just another brick in the -Wall

About the Haskell Weekly News

New editions are posted to [42]the Haskell mailing list as well as to
   [43]the Haskell Sequence and [44]Planet Haskell. [45]RSS is also
   available, and headlines appear on [46]haskell.org.

   To help create new editions of this newsletter, please see the
information on [47]how to contribute. Send stories to jfredett . at .
   gmail . dot . com. The darcs repository is available at darcs get
   [48]http://code.haskell.org/~byorgey/code/hwn/ .