On 5 Oct 2009, at 19:17, Lennart Augustsson wrote:

Complex numbers are just pairs of numbers,

What about dual numbers? (Yes, I've remembered the term) Aren't they also just pairs of numbers?

There may be other ways to define the operations on pairs of numbers
that makes sense too.

But these aren't the ways to define pairs of numbers, right?

My real point is that you shouldn't tell others what they should
regard as numbers and what not.

Suppose somebody asks why his Haskell program doesn't work, and after some interrogation he reveals that he just renamed Program.hs to Program.exe. Shouldn't we tell him NOT to do this?

Being a number is in the eye of the beholder. :)

Yes, and some points of view aren't as good as other. That's why we have psychiatric hospitals.