I'm constantly amused by those who manage to use Windows without installing Cygwin.

On 5 Dec 2009, at 23:33, Andrew Coppin wrote:

Stephen Tetley wrote:
Hello Andrew

Plenty compile on Windows:

Some OpenVG, OpenGL[1] (still? - I'm a bit behind the times) only
compile with MinGW.

Others are fine with Cygwin provided you have the dev packages
installed (readline, pcre-light...).

You're talking about MinGW and Cygwin. So... Unix emulators, basically.

I don't think it should be necessary to install a Unix emulator just so that I can write Windows programs. Maybe others disagree.

If you can get the raw C library to work in either Cygwin or MinGW,
you should have a good chance.

I'm by no means an expert here, but isn't it usual for C libraries on Windows to be supplied as a compiled DLL and a header file for using it? I don't quite understand why you need a C compiler.

[1] OpenGL worked fine when it was bundled with GHC, when it got
unbundled things seemed to go amiss.

Apparently there is some talk of removing OpenGL from the Haskell Platform. And if this happens, it'll be one more thing I can't use on Windows. :-(

Personally, I'd like to see *more* C bindings in HP, so that I can start doing cool stuff on Windows.