Hi Jason and other,

thanks for the suggestions, the Debian Haskell Team is eager to learn
why people do or don’t use the packaged libraries.

Am Dienstag, den 30.03.2010, 14:01 +1100 schrieb Ivan Miljenovic:
> On 30 March 2010 13:55, Jason Dagit <da...@codersbase.com> wrote:
> > [..] now trying to profile something, oh wait, some problem again.
>
> Agreed, if Debian didn't include the profiling libraries with GHC
> (though is this due to how Debian does packages?).

The profiling data is put in -prof packages, i.e. ghc-prof,
libghc6-network-prof etc. Indeed, there is no easy way to tell the
package system: Whenever I install a Haskell -dev package, please
install the -prof package as well.

It has been proposed to just drop the -prof packages and include it in
the -dev package, as disk space is cheap. But ghc6-prof does weigh
254M, and not everybody who wants to modify his xmonad config wants to
install that.

> Unless it still doesn't provide profiling libraries, the extralibs
> problem is no more.  There is, however, the Haskell Platform (which
> Debian seems to have almost had complete support for until the new one
> came out; now they've got to start again... >_> ).

No big deal this time, only minor version bumps and then rebuilding all
depending libraries. Maybe we will do this with ghc6-6.12.2, maybe
before.

Greetings,
Joachim

--