As the maintainer of random-fu, I'd be interested to know whether you find it useful after further inspection. It does, in fact, support using /dev/random as its entropy source. I don't know what exact sort of things you're wanting to do, but very basic usage (random Int in IO from DevRandom, etc.) is along these lines:

> sampleFrom DevRandom (uniform 1 100) :: IO Int
> sampleFrom DevRandom stdNormal :: IO Double

If the haddock docs are insufficient, feel free to drop me an email for clarification - I know they're a bit spotty at the moment.

Minor warning: I'm getting ready to release a fairly major overhaul of the library's innards (the latest is in the darcs repo). The public interface will probably not change much, but if you happen to end up using any of the low-level interfaces (such as to define your own new random source) just be aware that those are changing soon. It's nearing release, I'm mostly just trying to knock off rough edges and trying to decide whether to "take the plunge" and make some interface changes (mostly whether I want to hide some data constructors in order to better enforce some invariants).

-- James Cook

On Apr 3, 2010, at 1940, Alex Rozenshteyn wrote:

Looking over the random-fu package, I think it might have what I'm looking for (and a lot that I'm not).

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Gökhan San <g...@stillpsycho.net> wrote:
Alex Rozenshteyn <rpglove...@gmail.com> writes:

> The Rand monad you linked seems to be a step in the right direction
> for what I want, but it uses getStdGen, which appears to end up using
> cpu time to seed the generator.

There's the random-stream package but looks like it's subject to code
rot. Its RandomGen instance lacks the split functionality but I guess it
could be used with MonadRandom.

--

Gökhan San

         Alex R