Gregory Crosswhite wrote:
On Apr 8, 2010, at 12:25 PM, Casey McCann wrote:

Seriously, floating point so-called "numbers" don't even have
reflexive equality!

They don't?  I am pretty sure that a floating point number is always equal to
itself, with possibly a strange corner case for things like +/- 0 and NaN.

Exactly. NaN /= NaN.

Other than that, I believe that "let x = ... in x == x" is true (because they are the same bitfield by definition), however it is easy to have 'the same number' without it having the same bitfield representation due to loss of precision and the like. To say nothing of failures of other laws leading to overflow, underflow, etc.

--
Live well,
~wren