Yves Parès wrote:
data Player m = Player {
    plName :: String,  -- unique for each player
    plTurn :: GameGrid -> m Move  -- called whenever the player must play
}

What I try to avoid is having every player running in IO monad.

One could define the following players.

  human :: MonadIO m => Player m
  human = ...

  bot :: Monad m => Player m
  bot = ...

Note that these players are polymorphic in m, only assuming some minimal interface.

Now you can run both players in a single monad which is good enough for both, because it supports the union of the interfaces assumed by the various players. In this case, this monad could be IO, since it supports both MonadIO and Monad.

  changeBoard :: Board -> Move -> board
  changeBoard = ...

  play :: Player IO -> Player IO -> GameGrid -> IO GameResult
  play p1 p2 board do
    move <- plTurn p1 board
    play p2 p1 (changeBoard board move)

While this is probably not as expressive as what you want, it is reasonably simple, and it has the property that bot is not in the IO monad.

I have first seen this pattern in monadic interpreters, where you could have types like the following.

  eval :: (MonadReader Env m) => Expression -> m Value
  exec :: (MonadReader Env m, MonadIO m) => Statement -> m ()

These types reflect that the interpreted language permits side-effects
only in statements, but not in expressions. This is similar to your situation: You want your types to reflect that your game permits side-effects only in human players, not in artifical intelligences.

  Tillmann